Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Some had already mentioned this, -ber na! These means ber moths had started and soon it will be Christmas. Usually tv and radio programs in the Philippines had started their coutdowns and most of them are playing christmas carols. I bet my father had already dig in to their files of records and played christmas medleys. My mother would says "that's too early", but there she is humming with the song. I guess by now some malls have christmas tree on displays, toys and other children stuff on sale. Which reminded us the numbers of our godchildren. Well, christmas is giving and are for children. They always expect to have new clothes & shoes every christmas and ofcourse presents from ninong and ninang.

Last year was the first time I celebrated christmas away from my family, sad. But at the same time I am glad to be with my new family, it was also my first Thanksgiving, my first turkey :) Here in Korea they are celebrating Thanksgiving too, and it will be on the 24th of September. They call it Chu'sok: The Harvest Moon Festival. Koreans perform an ancestor worship ritual with an offer of food made of new crops to thank their ancestors for giving them good fortune. The director's wife had already invited us to spent Chu'sok with them at her father's farm. It would be an interesting event for us.

Korea does not have a history of Christmas until 200 years ago when chistianity was introduced for the first time. The Cofucianism and Buddhism is what shaped the culture and life of koreans. From what I read South Korea is now 30% christians, eventhough Buddhism is their official religion. L is surprised to learn that most people we met are christians. Modern Korea as they call it, has many things to credit to christianity and that includes christmas celebrations. They observe this occasion the way christian does, christmas decorations, carolling, and etc. All of these are remains to be seen by us, as of the moment I haven't heard nor seen any trace of christmas. But ofcourse it's too early to expect! It's all depend, if and when we decided to stay till then :)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ss_blog_claim=fbdb7e0ce39c9a9476f1dd5efdbcff32 ss_blog_claim=fbdb7e0ce39c9a9476f1dd5efdbcff32