Monday, March 21, 2005

winter blues over!

The cold months will soon be over. Spring is in the air. Although a light jacket is still needed when you walk outside, I'm thankful to be over with layers and heavy coats. Now I am looking forward to what Spring brings.

Winter is harsh in Korea almost like a Siberian winter. It's bitterly cold so that all you can do is keep yourself warm. This makes the coming of Spring all the more cherished. Of course I appreciate the fact that here in our area snow is minimal. It almost doesn't snow while in other areas snow accumulates several inches high. The temperature is deadly. Especially since here we do all our errands on foot. Buses and taxis are available but it seems senseless to take one when your destination is only a 10 minute walk away. Koreans loves walking and winter is no exception, as they seem to enjoy walking in freezing temperatures. The funny thing is, some of them are not heavily dressed for winter, whereas I am bulging with layers of clothes and still feel chilled.

I have learned that cold months can lead to very negative feelings. The grey skies and the freezing temperatures make people tired, unmotivated, and depressed. That's how I felt the past few months here. I'm glad L is very patient and tried to cheer me up the whole time. Not to mention my friend Anna never ceases to call me. Now I realize I was hit with Winter Blues, which they also call SAD - Seasonal Affected Disorder. They said the cause is decreased exposure to sunlight. But then I didn't experience such an affect in the US, the first year I was in a cold climate. But then again there, I was busy doing stuff, when here I don't do much. I guess the factors that really affect individuals depend on their particular circumstances.

I'm one of those cheering and looking forward to the Spring season, and it's just around the corner. There may not be beautiful, colorful tulips visible in every corner, but the change of weather will nonetheless be greatly appreciated :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ss_blog_claim=fbdb7e0ce39c9a9476f1dd5efdbcff32 ss_blog_claim=fbdb7e0ce39c9a9476f1dd5efdbcff32